Banana bread tops the list on most searched for recipes during coronavirus lockdown
Brits love baking Banana Bread best. According to research, Banana Bread beats the Best Ever Brownies as the most searched recipe during the coronavirus lockdown, as more hopeful bakers look to practice their cooking skills.
It is no secret that since 23rd March when the countrywide lockdown was confirmed, Brits have been baking. According to Kantar, when coronavirus hit the UK, an extra 2.1 million of us bought flour in four weeks. The shortage of bread flour and self-raising flour have been plain to see, and now ingredients like glace cherries and currants are hard to find. But what have Brits been baking?
Reading the top 20, it is very evident (and not a surprise), that sweet treats and desserts top the list – great comfort food and all of which include eggs (free-range we hope) as one of the ingredients.
BBC Good Food noted that 13 out of the leading 20 recipes fell into the cakes, biscuits, or desserts category (the others were simple comfort main meals)
Where possible, we’ve included links to our versions of the recipe. Happy Baking
The top 20 in order are:
1. Brilliant banana loaf – try our Banana Bread
2. Best-ever Chocolate Brownies
3. Best Yorkshire puddings
4. Classic scones with jam & clotted cream
5. Easy Pancakes recipe
6. Classic Victoria sandwich recipe
7. Yummy golden syrup flapjacks recipe
9. Chilli con Carne
10. Vintage chocolate chip cookies – try our Healthy Cookies
11. Easy white bread – try our Egg Bread
12. The best spaghetti Bolognese
14. Cupcake recipe (ours are Lemon Cupcakes)
15. Cheesecake recipes (ours is Blueberry Cheesecake)
16. Strawberry cheesecake in 4 easy steps recipe
17. Ultimate spaghetti carbonara
18. Classic cheese scones
19. The best apple crumble
20. Hot cross buns
*Caroline Allen is a contributor to Yahoo Style UK and came up with the list.