Lemon Cupcakes / Vanilla Frost
These sunshine sweet homemade lemon cupcakes with vanilla frosting are incredibly soft and bursting with lemon flavour! Great for sharing at the Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning or for a little treat among friends. Recipe via Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup 115g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup 200g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups /190g all-purpose flour (spoon & levelled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 120ml milk (I use whole, but any milk is fine)
- zest + fresh juice of two medium lemons1
- vanilla buttercream and additional lemon slices for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 12-count muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed in a large bowl until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until everything is combined, about 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, beating on low speed after each addition. Batter will be thick. Beat in the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix this batter at any point.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 cupcake liners. Bake for about 18-22 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. If topping with lemon zest, do so right before serving. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake.
Tips: Make ahead tip: Cupcakes can be made ahead 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Frosting can also be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Decorate/assemble cupcakes immediately before serving. Leftover cupcakes keep well covered tightly at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.