Meringues are the base of many desserts including Eton Mess. But you can't beat a simple meringue with some whipped cream and a strawberry (or any soft fruit in season). Enjoy
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 50 minutes
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- 4 free-range egg whites
- pinch salt
- 225 g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp raspberry vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 300 ml/10½fl oz double cream
- mixed summer fruits and berries or any soft seasonal fruit
- Preheat the oven to 130C/275F/Gas 1.
- Beat the egg whites and salt together in a bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly, until all the sugar is incorporated and stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Add the cornflour, raspberry vinegar and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Drop spoonfuls of the meringue mixture into little heaps onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and transfer to the oven to bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until the outside of the meringues is crisp and the inside is marshmallow-like.
- To serve, place one or two meringues into each dish and top with whipped cream and the summer berries of your choice.
Top Tip: If your meringues aren’t perfect you could always make an Eton Mess - have a go here