St Patricks Day Cupcakes
Oh Danny Boy, the cakes the cakes are calling….. Irish Stout and Irish Cream Liqueur in a cupcake… what could be better on St Patricks Day. We found this recipe on the Food Network site and couldn’t wait to try it. Cheers.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 27 minutes
Total Time 52 minutes
For the cupcakes
- 375 ml Irish stout recommended: Guinness
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 65 g cocoa powder plus extra for dusting
- 400 g dark brown sugar
- 170 g sour cream
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 280 g plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
For the Irish Liqueur icing
- 500 g unsalted butter
- 60 ml Irish cream liqueur recommended: Baileys
- 500 g icing sugar
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C/Gas Mark 3. Add liners to a cupcake or muffin tin.
- Place the stout and butter in a medium-size pan and whisk together on medium heat until the butter melts. Remove from the heat.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a medium-size bowl and add the sugar. Slowly whisk into the stout mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and lightly whisk until smooth. Add this mixture to the saucepan and whisk thoroughly (it may appear lumpy).
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together in another bowl, then add it to the saucepan, mixing a final time until the colour is even.
- Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until they spring back after touching, about 27 minutes. Allow to cool for 5minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
For the Irish liqueur icing:
- Cream the butter in the bowl of an electric stand mixer until pale. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the Irish liqueur in a steady stream. Slowly add the icing sugar and continue beating until a creamy consistency is achieved.
To assemble: Pipe the icing onto cooled cupcakes using a large plain tip. Dust with cocoa powder if desired.