Spice it up Gingerbread
Spice Week on the Great British Bake off was an elaborate affair including a lot of ginger. We like to keep it simple – you can’t beat a traditional gingerbread. Our recipe has been adapted from the one our Grannies used in the BeRo recipe book, but we’ve added a hint of nutmeg and some sultana’s – they help to keep it moist and it adds a little texture. Feel free to leave it out if you want to.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
- 225 g 8oz plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 x 5ml spoon 2tsp ground ginger
- 1 x 5ml spoon mixed spice
- 1/2 x 5ml spoon nutmeg spice
- 1 x 5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
- 50 g 2oz soft brown sugar
- 100 g 4oz margarine
- 175 g 6oz black treacle
- 50 g 2oz golden syrup
- 150 ml 1/4 pt milk
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 50 g 2oz sultanas (optional)
- Heat the oven to 150c, 300f, gas 2. Grease an 18cm (7 inch) square deep cake tin.
- Sieve together flour, salt, ginger, spice and bicarb of soda. Stir in the sugar.
- Melt margarine, treacle and syrup gently. Gradually beat in the milk and allow to cool.
- Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Stir treacle mixture into the flour and add the sultanas.
- Pour mixture into the tin and bake for about 1 1/4 hours.