Delia’s Real Custard
If you have never made REAL custard, this recipe will help you. It is taken from Delia’s How to Cook Book One.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 10 fl oz 275ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 oz 25 g golden caster sugar
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Place the pod and seeds in a small saucepan with the cream. Place the pan over a gentle heat and heat it to just below simmering point.
- While the cream is heating, whisk the egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together in a medium bowl using a balloon whisk.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the hot cream, then, whisking the egg mixture all the time with one hand, gradually pour the hot cream into the bowl.
- When it’s all in, immediately return the whole lot back to the saucepan using a rubber spatula. Return to a gentle heat as you continue whisking until the custard is thick and smooth, which will happen as soon as it reaches simmering point. If you do overheat it and it looks grainy, don’t worry, just transfer it to a jug or bowl and continue to whisk until it becomes smooth again.
- Pour the custard into a jug or bowl and serve, or cover the surface with cling film and leave to cool, warming later.