Happy 30th Birthday M&S Colin the Caterpillar cake. Who would have believed that a caterpillar cake would turn 30 and star on ITV This Morning? Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream and Caterpillar inspired decoration were prepared by Juliet Sear’s on This Morning. We love the cupcakes – perfect for kids to make too.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 200 g 70% dark chocolate
- 200 g salted butter
- 250 g light brown muscadavo sugar
- 4 eggs + 2 yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 60 ml soured cream
- 200 g self raising flour
- 35 g cocoa powder
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 400 g icing sugar
- Vanilla extract or paste
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Melt the chocolate, sugar and butter together in the microwave on a medium heat or on a bain-marie until all melted together and smooth
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla and sour cream together in a bowl
- Using a whisk or a fork mix together the flour and cocoa powder making sure it is completely distributed
- Add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour and cocoa mixture gently until combined.
- Place mixture equally in cupcake cases then and bake for 15-18 minutes (all ovens vary) until JUST baked - you want them to be fudgy and still have a wobble. (A cake tester or small sharp knife should come out a little pasty and sticky, not be free of mixture but should not be glistening. Leave to cool in the cupcake tin on a rack.
- For the buttercream, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter and vanilla extract. Add 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water and beat until smooth. Add to a piping bag and cover the top.
- Use chocolate buttons for the eyes, and white chocolate sticks and buttons for antenna
More Colin the Caterpillar inspired ideas: From ITV This Morning