Coffee & Walnut Cake
Something for the Weekend.... from Simon Rimmer. This recipe won our poll and we could taste why. This classic coffee and walnut cake is topped with an easy espresso-infused buttercream icing and was a clear winner in our coffee cake poll.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
For the cake
- 225 g/8oz unsalted butter softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225 g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 50 ml/1¾fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 225 g/8oz self-raising flour
- 75 g/2½oz walnuts
For the buttercream topping
- 125 g/4½oz unsalted butter
- 200 g/7oz icing sugar
- 50 ml/2fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 12 walnut halves to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
- Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
- Add the flour and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into two lined and greased 20cm/8in cake tins.
- Transfer to the oven to bake 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream topping, beat the butter and icing sugar together in a small bowl until pale and light.
- 10. Add the espresso and mix well.
- 11. Spread the buttercream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other.
- 12. Decorate the top of the cake with the walnut halves and serve in generous slices.
We added this recipe in honour of UK Coffee week - we hope you enjoy making it and tasting at teatime.